Wednesday, March 8, 2023

International Women's Day

Given the fact that I have such a different way of looking at everything, I guess it is no surprise that I'm a bit on the fence about today, International Women's Day. 

I think of my grandmother, Winnifred Wilton, and how she became the first woman lawyer in Manitoba during World War I; her budding career ended in 1920 upon her marriage and becoming pregnant with her first child. I think of my mother, a born leader, campaigning in the early 60's to become the first woman on our church's vestry (governing body), only for the rector to tower over her and, in a booming voice, declare, "Over my dead body, my dear!" And those of you who know me or who have followed this blog know about my lifetime of largely unsuccessful efforts to contribute to the world of English church music. I confess that sometimes, I am not as enthused as I should be when women do make it in formerly all-male careers and endeavors, and I am sorry about that. It is a shortcoming, pure and simple, the result of too many years of sadness and frustration, and something I still need to work on at this late date!

Yet, as always, there is a deeper level to this. I mean, when a construct is so rigid that women and other groups have to fight so hard to gain entrance, I have to ask myself, is this a paradigm that can ever be good for all of us? How many more centuries will we have to "fight" until every day is beneficial to women? How many more centuries will it take for women to be truly respected and celebrated, no matter who they are and what they "accomplish"? Will human life on earth last long enough to find out? Seriously.

One of the hardest things to do in the face of all this is quietly set the spiritual and intellectual groundwork for a more women-friendly world. I hate being invisible, and I hate feeling like I am "doing nothing", and being accused of doing nothing. Yet I can't seem to do activities (paid or volunteer) that will help our current model be a better place, because deep down, I don't think it is possible. And since I don't believe in conflict, I cannot and will not fight the old paradigm. I must respect my own inner silent "coming about" (sailing jargon) into the new tack that is Goddess-centered. I must send out as much love as I can to a world that is, itself, "coming about", whether it knows it or not...