Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Money II


Over the last few weeks, I’ve learned about some intriguing alternative authors and concepts on money.  The first is a writer named Charles Eisenstein, whose book, Sacred Economics, I haven’t yet read, but I love the title.  Reading his online biography was like reading my own.  He speaks of how in his late twenties, he entered a crisis because “it became excruciating to do work I didn’t care about.”  Yes.  It is.

And then last Thursday on NPR’s “On Point,” the Basic Income movement was discussed, something I had never heard of.   Basically, this is a proposal that every adult be provided with a small income, free from work expectations.  I don’t know about the political or economic implications of this and have just barely begun to read about it.  No one concept is “the answer” to everything going on in the world, economically.  But spiritually, it appears to resonate with what I believe – that every human being is “worth-y” just by virtue of being on the planet.  At the very least, a basic income could revolutionize the lives of writers, musicians, artists, mystics, dancers and poets and free them up to do their real work. It could give everyone a minimal safety net/starting point as institutions and technologies change radically, literally faster than ever before in history, faster than most people can keep up with. (I look at job postings now, and it’s like reading Greek.  I don’t even understand what most of the jobs are.) Evidently, what was a really fringe idea not long ago has begun to be given more and more serious consideration worldwide.

Gosh, what would the last few years have been like if I had had such a “basic income” in the midst of trying to realign with my calling?  On the one hand, it sounds literally heavenly; perhaps I could even have kept a tiny studio apartment as a home base.  But on the other hand, I might have missed out on learning that there is an even bigger support system out there – our Source – and that many of my friends are literally angels in disguise.  I might have missed out on becoming nearly fearless.  On some deep level, I chose to learn these important lessons, and my life unfolded in an untidily perfect way.

It makes me happy to think that we may be starting to tilt in the direction of a more love- (rather than fear-) centered economy and society.  There’s a lot of noisy pushback, but if many of us hold on to our integrity in the midst of it all, the paradigm will continue to change.  And the great thing is we don’t have to “fight” the old constructs, just “be” a new one as best we can.