Sunday, January 3, 2016

A New Year

Gosh, it’s rather daunting to try to write an appropriate post for the first of the year. 

However, I can say that the New Year started in classic “Liz” style.  On New Year’s Eve, while baking, I half heard a reference on public radio to the fact that birders pay special attention to the first bird they see on January 1.  So, Friday morning, wouldn’t you know the first bird I saw was a hawk, “Messenger,” according to my trusty Medicine Cards book (by Jamie Sams and David Carson.) The first new book to grab my attention in the new year has been No Ordinary Time: The Rise of Spiritual Intelligence and Evolutionary Creativity – A Book of Hours for a Prophetic Age.  Yeah, right down my alley.  The author, Jan Phillips, is a former Roman Catholic who uses the monastic hours as a vessel to present an expanded spiritual vision.  Sort of what New Age monks or nuns might pray over the course of a week.  The timeliness of this was quite extraordinary -- or not, if you believe that what you put out there will come back to you.  I have been continuing to perseverate over the seeming “disconnect” between my passion for my musical and spiritual tradition (Church of England) and my spiritual reality.  I keep trying to believe that there is a link, and it is reassuring to find someone who has found her own bridge.

I haven’t gotten far into the book. However, this short passage seems apt for the beginning of the year: “This is the beginning of a new day.  Each day you awaken to a canvas of twenty-four hours, ready for what only YOU can create.  What will you make of this gift you’ve been given?  What do you need to fulfill your mission?” (page 10.)

This may be enough for today. There’s a year’s worth of discernment just in those two questions.  May we all find answers to them! The third of my meaningful “firsts” on Friday was pulling a card from my Sacred Geometry deck (by Janosh, published by Sounds True.) These cards present fascinating computer generated crop-circle-type images with a single word/meaning.  The card that “picked me” for the year was “communication.”  That means, you can be fairly certain that I’ll weigh in on all this deep stuff every few days as 2016 progresses.  Thanks for being here with me!