Friday, January 22, 2016

Pride


When I was growing up, there was a plate in the cabinet with a Currier-and-Ives-type illustration of a little Dutch boy with a satisfied smirk on his face, skating right toward a huge hole in the ice.  The inscription around the edge of the plate?  “Pride Goeth Before a Fall.”
The other day, I started to tell a friend about one of my published articles about English composer Herbert Howells.  And yet, within about a sentence, my articulate self had vanished.  My voice became dismissive, even satirical, and I was rolling my eyes and making faces.  Fortunately, this wise friend stopped me in my tracks, and said something to the effect of, “Liz, start that sentence over as if you were proud of yourself.”

Unlike many people, I think I have never wavered in my sense of connectedness to Source, and that may be a remarkable thing.  But the empty hole inside has had to do with my expectations about how other people will value me and my talents and accomplishments.  Those are two totally different things, and at least I’m relieved to “get” the difference.   There are three things that I am the most “proud” of – achieving my MMus (in historical musicology) from the University of London; my lifelong efforts to sing choral evensong; and my two articles on Howells.   For a whole host of reasons, not the least of which is that none of these really “register” in the US as major accomplishments, I’ve never had the sense that my efforts have been widely noticed or appreciated (and of course because that was my belief, I drew that reality to me.)  And none of the three “earned” me any money.  In fact, directly or indirectly, they all cost me money I didn’t have!  So even now, when I feel stronger and more powerful than I ever have in my life, my tendency to make pre-emptive fun of myself before someone else can do it for me came to the fore.
It’s so funny.  I don’t think I even know how to have the kind of pride cautioned against in that traditional adage.  The kind of snarky, “Nyah, nyah, I’m winning this race and you aren’t!”  “I’ve got a million dollars and you don’t!” “I’m in charge here, and you’re an underling!”  I mean, it all seems so school-boyish and as far as can possibly be from my experience.  And yet there are more subtle forms of pride, Jane Austen-like, and I suspect in ways I have been guilty on occasion of hiding fearfully behind a mask of superiority or detachment.  Yet I can’t help but think that for many of us women (and certainly women of my generation and earlier), the whole problem is the reverse.  We were decidedly not encouraged early on to “be ourselves” or to achieve or win the race or exude power.  So even the most modest efforts to blow our own horn feel uncomfortable for some of us, and we may fall back on kind of twisted/self-effacing humor, cynicism, anger or frustration.

What is the “third way” here?  Pride, perhaps, that is not referential to the status of others; that is not dependent on the success or failure of others.  The pride that says, “Woo, hoo!  I’ve done something where I am really aligned with Source, and I am who I was put on the planet to be!  Wow, I’m in the groove, I’m flowing with the gentle, supportive river of life!  I feel joyful and powerful! Life is good!”  On this frigid winter day, I don’t believe that the inevitable outcome of that kind of pride should be falling through the ice, and speaking only for myself, I need to replace the ice skater image pronto!
As I write this, I realize that there is one more thing I am proud of – this blog.  Yes, it’s up there with the other three.  Despite what I said the other day about fearlessness, I have not yet built up the courage to open this up to reader comments, so please forgive me for that.  Just know that I treasure my readers and hope that 2016 brings you, too, some things to be proud of in a new-fashioned way!  We’re doing it!