Monday, December 19, 2016

No No

One of the main premises of law of attraction thinking, articulated in numerous Abraham Hicks talks and in the writings of other New Thought writers and metaphysicians, is that there is no "no" in the divine mind. I've written about this before, but it has been on my mind again, both in terms of my own life and the scenario unfolding before us.

The concept is this: this is an attraction-based universe, where people and situations of like energies bond with each other. Attention itself is a form of attraction, and if I say "no" to something, I'm having to look at it long enough to say "no." If I say, "heck, no," my attention level to the thing I don't like rises, and if I become apoplectic about the thing I dislike -- if I begin to hate it and rise up to fight it -- from the standpoint of law of attraction, I am in fact saying "yes" to it. By giving something constant, emotional, negative attention, I am in fact helping to create it as a reality as much as if I were saying "yes."

I am the poster child for No No, as most of you know (!) By age six, all I wanted to do in the world was to sing English cathedral music, and by ten, I wanted to live in England and be the first woman conductor of the Choir of King's College, Cambridge. Yet at 60, I am still living in the U.S., having never had job satisfaction, livable income, or permanent connection to this tradition except what I hear on records or online. I have experienced a few glorious moments of alignment, but nothing remotely permanent. I can see how the early "no" ("girls cannot sing this music") translated into a domino effect of outer and inner "no's." I tried over the years to say "yes" instead to a variety of American life options and to shift gears to other interests, yet after a short time, my inner "no" would come out. I'd say, "No, this isn't right for me," and move on to another place or situation that wasn't inherently right for me either, eventually saying "no" before moving on yet again. Not only did I lose sight of myself in a sea of "no's," everyone around me lost faith in me. I've had so-called friends joke about how they thought I was dead, and in a sense, I have been, because I've been exiled from my life passion, my personal conduit to Divine Love. 

How does this relate to this extraordinary international moment? As I observe the pushback to this unfortunate path we are on, I am struck by the fact that it is essentially (and understandably) a great big "no," a great big "heck, no." My heart sinks, because I know what that means. Unwittingly, the "no's" are saying "yes" to this path, yes to these horrifying trends. We think we are doing the right thing by saying "no," but we are co-creating the very thing we fear. We are co-creating our own exile from the values we love, our own "death."

There is nothing harder in the world than to detach from your "no" long enough to vividly and lovingly envision your "yes." It goes literally against all of human history, which has been one dramatic fight "against" after another. But I'm setting a goal for myself these next two weeks, when I will live quietly, pet-sitting for friends in the country. I plan to focus almost entirely on my lifelong dream. I plan to envision it and feel its beautiful energy daily for hours at a stretch. At 60 I won't become that exact choir director or achieve success in the traditional way, and that is OK. But there is still some way to live my dream that only a consistent "yes" can create. "Yes" is the only path to life. In terms of the national and international scenario, I will try my hardest to envision what I know most of us want: enlightened leadership, a world where everyone is validated, accepted and supported, and where everyone honors and cares for our earth home. I invite my small but hardy band of "Liz Path" readers to spend these two weeks saying "yes" to what they really want, not "no" to what they don't want. And let's see what this New Year brings!

I'll check in in a few days to let you know how it's going.