Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Qualifiers

If my dear readers could be "flies on the wall," so to speak, they would see an energetic editing process right before I post my essay.

Even after fifteen or sixteen months of writing this blog, I continue to struggle to write clear, concise prose with no self-inflicted "wounds." In writing, as in some of my verbal communication, I still habitually qualify the most important things I say with weak, apologetic, fuzzy phrases like "kind of," "sort of," "just," "I think," and "maybe." There is a place for qualifiers in academic or legal writing and journalism if you don't have all the facts and you need to make exceptions or uncertainties clear, and I'm pretty careful about that. But the situations I am referring to are when I am incapable of stating my own opinion or telling stories of my own life without diminishing myself. I don't know if this is a result of my upbringing, my generation, being a woman of my generation, being a woman, or all of the above, but it's a serious uphill climb for me. In my first draft, I simply do not see what I am doing, and it takes about half a dozen readings for me to weed out the worst of the wobble. And of course it is a process that works both ways. There would be no vacillation in my writing if I completely and fearlessly believed in my right to have a voice. I am making progress in all these areas (and I just edited out this sentence's introductory "I think"!)

Why is this important? Now more than ever, the world needs honesty, clarity, and self-confidence in those who have previously been silent. Not boasting, just solidity and inner power. I keep reminding myself: I am "qualified" to write about my own life and opinions. No qualifiers necessary.