Friday, December 2, 2016

A beautiful day

Yesterday was a beautiful day. Not weather-wise, although it wasn't too bad in that regard either. It was beautiful because of two great experiences. I spoke to a small class about the service of choral evensong, and played some representative music. There is nothing like meeting bright, thoughtful people, and being in a position to share your passion with them and field fascinating questions. I had always assumed that if my contribution to this field did not come from singing or playing the organ, I'd have to go in entirely different creative/career directions (as I did for many years.) Recently, writing (and speaking) about my church music journey has become a surprising, satisfying outlet. I feel confident and in my element, glad to use my skills even if not quite the way I expected.

Then last night, I heard an extraordinary ensemble sing a cappella medieval and Renaissance music (see my blog on November 11.) Oh how I love those parallel fourths, that early polyphony. Even though the concert hall never quite seems right for this music, I try to close my eyes and imagine fan vaulting above me. It doesn't take much work to go from listening to Hildegard of Bingen, to feeling like her 21st-century sister. Could she have imagined how popular her music would be 900 years later?  Can any human imagine such a legacy?

In between, the bus, my legs and one taxi got me where I needed to go, I met up with an old friend for late lunch, and life was good. I am thankful.