Saturday, March 11, 2017

"Fearless Girls"

Some day well in the future, when we have moved through the transitional age that we seem to have entered, each of us will be able to speak to what got us through it. For me, the sparkling breadcrumbs on the dark forest floor are the almost daily examples of women (and girls) standing up and speaking out.

I am almost speechless in my love of the sculpture unveiled on Wall Street of the "fearless girl" facing the raging bull. There are so many levels of meaning here; we can each find our own. The fearless girl in me salutes her, and all the girls and women now flocking to the site to have their pictures taken.

More fearless girls: the article below speculates that some previously unknown Renaissance polyphonic music might have been written by Leonora d'Este, the nun and daughter of Lucrezia Borgia. Musicologist Laurie Stras brings up a point I cannot believe I never thought of (with my own master's in historical musicology): to what extent was music traditionally attributed to "anonymous" actually written by women?

Listen to the recordings linked to this article, and take in the image of the nuns clustered, singing, around a choir book. We may never know for sure who wrote this exquisite music, but shedding light on this aspect of our choral heritage right now is timely...and so inspiring.