Saturday, March 25, 2017

Getting around

One of the things I have noticed in my travels on the city bus is the high percentage of patrons who are mobility-challenged. Modern buses, with their raising and lowering stairs and wheelchair ramps, are a lifesaver for so many people. Talk about intersectionality; this is where the health care debate meets proposed cuts to urban mass transportation. This is literally about, how are people supposed to get around?

At 61, I think I have the average amount of arthritis and "aches and pains" discomfort, but I am fortunate compared to many of my fellow travelers. Yesterday, when I arrived at my job and sat down at the desk after an extremely snowy walk from the bus stop, I had one of those intense "epiphany" moments. What flowed over me in waves was immense gratitude that I have a body that is still working, and legs that get me from point A to point B. In kind of a flash, I recognized, literally, how far I have traveled in this amazing lifetime. I've lived in American communities huge (New York City), medium and tiny. I've driven across country at least four times, and set foot in dozens of states. I've studied in and visited England many times, and been to Spain, France, the Netherlands and Canada. For someone not much interested in fitness, per se, I've gotten around.

Even only 100 years ago, such far-ranging travel and freedom would never have been possible for a single woman, or perhaps any woman. And even today, some peoples' physical or life conditions may make travel nearly impossible from early in their lives. I felt tears of joy, almost bliss, that I've been so privileged. I am not very prepossessing to look at, but this body has been steady, resilient and perfect for this lifetime.

Many of my contemporaries focus on their bodies' weaknesses, and even for me that temptation becomes greater by the day. But I am trying, as in all things, to focus on what I want, which is to continue to get around for many years to come. There is still much more to do.