Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Messages

The other day, I saw a pick-up truck that I haven't been able to forget. On the back, there was the message about this person's willingness to fight "enemies." There were also various decals on the windows with guns on them, and the vehicle apparently had a deliberate muffler problem so that when it accelerated, it sounded terrifyingly assertive.

Was I afraid of this truck or its owner? No. But it got me thinking about the word "enemies." I have searched myself pretty thoroughly, and have to say that it's a word -- and concept -- I simply do not understand. Do I have any enemies? From my perspective, I don't think so. Are there people and situations I prefer to avoid? Yes. Are there institutions, people and trends that I have to work extremely hard to get a high, loving (or at least an understanding, historically/spiritually thoughtful) perspective on? Yes. But are there people, or groups of people, that I actively hate? Seriously, I don't think so. Are there people or groups of people that I consider my enemy? I don't think so. It's like, I just don't even "get" the concept. I actually feel sorry for people whose lives are fixated on this kind of no-win stance, but I guess we all get to choose our primary message or motto.

Raw emotions and messages are inundating our spaces right now. There's no getting around that. It's taking an increasing amount of my time and life energy to simply put them into some kind of context, to separate out what is even in my vocabulary, much less my worldview. This "Liz Path," which I originally articulated as being about my quest to have a more normal, settled, focused life, seems to have morphed into a far more complicated navigation down some really foamy rapids. I'm on a shaky little rowboat, maybe even as shaky as eighteen months ago when I started this blog. But if I had to name her today, and give her a "message" for passing boats to see, it would be the S.S. Open-hearted, flowing down the river of Love. It's corny, and I'm still learning this series of life lessons, but that's my preferred vessel. That's my preferred message, even as the waves slam into the bow and the droplets soak me.