Thursday, August 18, 2016

New Energy

Over the next few weeks, I will probably be posting a bit more regularly, but sometimes more briefly, because from the 22nd until Labor Day, I need to get to a temp job by 8 AM every day. However, there is so much percolating, so much energy, that I need to keep writing about things. I am so appreciative of my small band of followers; you are stalwart and amazing, that's for sure.

Just as a follow-up to my link about the invisibility of middle-aged, childless women, many of you have probably also seen some of the uneven reporting about women's successes at the Olympics. Here's an interesting read from The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/womens-blog/2016/aug/17/normal-society-means-male-andy-murray-venus-serena-williams?CMP

In the news as well are accounts of all the thousands of people being left homeless in the US by floods and fires. These kinds of news events undoubtedly prompt different kinds of analyses in different people, depending on their life focus: there's the political angle, the environmental angle, the economic angle, the purely public safety/rescue angle, and the logistical angle (where do these people go next?) I guess my "angle" is feeling so acutely the spiritual journey that is "homelessness," and if my words reach anyone affected by what is happening, please know that you still exist even if your belongings don't. Hang on to that as best you can.

Lastly for today, I think I have latched on to an exercise to do when feeling absolute hopelessness, which I touched base with for a short time yesterday.
Too many years of trying so hard to be me, and still ending up with just $20, takes its toll. But as all the New Age gurus say, in these situations, you must find something that makes you feel wonderful. And for me at that moment, it was to ask myself the question, "What would I do if I felt powerful?" I created the most amazing list of ideas, most of which were absolutely silly and out-of-character, but that's the point, isn't it? I've been serious and downplayed myself for 60 years. In my list, I was silly, and glorified myself, with ideas like building a statue of myself in the desert, and deciding to dress like Queen Elizabeth I for the rest of my life!  By the end of a half an hour, I was feeling absolutely marvelous, and, hey, I'm not ruling most of it out. I promise I'll figure out how to post the pictures here if I do either of the above!