Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Recommended Reading

Today I need to recommend this article, "On the Invisibility of Middle-Aged Women," by Dorthe Nors, a writer I had never heard of.


OK, even in its light-ish tone, it's a bit hard to read. There is too much truth in it.  However, somehow in the midst of it, I think she distills what it is that so many of us women are trying to do in a society that sometimes seems to want us to disappear into the mist: we want presence.  We want who we are to matter. On the divine plane, and right here on Mother Earth.

At 60, in the face of the temptation to go smaller and to start the process of disappearing, my hunch is that I am called to go much, much bigger. To use Nors' words, how can I "grow without being controlled by the needs and expectations of others"?

I'll say this for this era of social media; when you start thinking and writing about the things that really matter to you, you begin to magnetize the other people on your wavelength. I'm thankful for this writer showing up at this moment, and giving me some camaraderie on the journey.