Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Thank-you notes

Yesterday afternoon, after meditating on a few more passages in Danielle LaPorte's The Desire Map, I sent a thank-you email to her and her staff. I've already received a response, not from her personally, but from an assistant, and that was lovely. I'm the queen of thank-you notes. OK, so they are the dollar store variety, not Crane stationery, but whenever I can remember to do so, I thank people for what they have done for me. It's often (apart from household chores) all I can do, but I don't want to forget gratitude, even the WASP bread-and-butter note variety.

I say this because I realize (a risk of blogging, I guess) that something I said yesterday might be easy to misconstrue. Many, many friends over recent years have generously extended care-filled hospitality and "next steps" to me. I wouldn't be here if they had not. So, talk about gratitude...but the heavy anchor I was referring to really starts at the top. Despite years spent in church and many subsequent years spent on an intense spiritual journey, divine love still hasn't infused my own heart. I can understand it intellectually, and I believe my heart is open (not blocked by fear or hatred) but a lifetime of feeling I was abandoned by God is simply not reversed overnight. The love extended by friends felt -- due to my own history -- kind of like assistance building a rickety bridge over a raging river. Hopeless. Eventually Liz's little bridge would fall into the foamy waters, never to be seen again. And on the divine plane, no one would notice.

So you can see how amazingly, astonishingly, novel it is to read words like these: "On the other side of deciding to rise is illumination, ecstasy, insight. And the angel of your strength is there, waiting, smiling, applauding...life wants you to win." (101) Imagine being applauded for being your highest self. Imagine being applauded for being you at your most extraordinary, your most "out there," your most unconventional, your most love-infused. And of course, this being the new age it is, this is not about the Universe being on one person's side and not on another's. It is completely all-encompassing. No one on this planet is meant to fall into the river, I am sure of that. There are thousands of authors whose words might have resonated with this reminder at this time, but for me it seems to be Danielle LaPorte.  And I have still only really focused on one page of her book!