Monday, August 29, 2016

Retail Reality...

I am thankful for the soft-ish landing, and retail work is at least somewhat neutral. I can turn my brain off long enough to do it. But boy-oh-boy my feet can't take the hours of standing any more! Once this temp job is over, I need to try for the five millionth time in my life to find some better solution to the ongoing challenge of being Liz in the world.

Of course, my mind never completely turns off, and when I am in a retail environment, I find myself wondering whether in fact I am missing some key gene or something. In the rare quiet moments when I can watch people walking around, looking with interest at all the goods, comparing prices, gathering up piles of items, something in me just cannot relate at all. I wonder, what if things had been different? What if I had had family money? What if I had found a good paying career? A rich husband? What if, what if? Would I ever have become a consumer? Would I have ever grown to love buying things? Would all this ever have mattered?

The answer is probably, no. I'm a mystic. By definition, I'm more interested in the interior world. The powers-to-be have geared so much of our culture to the purchase of stuff, and people like me just don't fit in. Hmmm....even if the proverbial million dollars came to me tomorrow, I would use it to get where I want to be, and find a modest home with some antiques and books. I might ensure that I have more than one pair of summer sandals and one pair of winter shoes, and a few new clothes. I might give a party for the people I love and who have helped me. But after that, how much time would I spend every week shopping? About one hour. And that would be on food.

People say, "dream on," but I am dreaming on and have been my whole life. I want to be paid to be what I am, a writer, singer, spiritual thinker, mystic and visionary. Every "job" I have ever had over the last 45 years has been but a temporary place-holder for that wonderful day, which my throbbing feet can't wait for either!