Monday, January 30, 2017

Digging

This is a rather challenging time to hold the law of attraction belief that there is no such thing as "no" in the Universe...that saying no (and fighting against something) is the equivalent of saying "yes," because of where the attention is going. I know intellectually that all this attention on the unwanted is causing it to grow. I know intellectually that I must, must focus only on the qualities of life that I want for the world and myself personally: love, peace, freedom of thought and movement, spiritual and intellectual growth, a place to call home, health, and companionship. Yet it takes an almost unheard of level of self control in a moment as heated as this. I had the first panic attack of my life yesterday. It was over something completely unrelated to the news, but it was a sign to me of how the imbalance is spreading. All of us must be very sensitive to our own responses, and do personal light and healing work regularly to potentially soften what could be a very hard, dark landing. Unfortunately, we have chosen to fall. But there are many ways to hit the ground, including running.

It's odd what I have turned to for solace in the last few months. It isn't (as I might have expected) recordings of choral evensong, or glossy "Masterpiece Theatre" productions. Late last fall, I watched the British show, "The Detectorists," about two absolutely adorable but hapless metal detectorists in the east of England who live to detect and, occasionally, dig. Then, during my animal-sitting gig over Christmas, I discovered "Time Team," the now somewhat dated British archaeology show, which I've been watching online. And the other day, I happened upon a book in the library, "The Dig," by John Preston. It's a fictional account of the Sutton Hoo dig back in 1939. What is the appeal here? There is almost no conflict, except the occasional, reasonably lighthearted professional difference of opinion as to where to dig. There is the landscape that I love, not only its surface, but the layers upon layers underneath, which I am utterly fascinated by. (When I visited Gloucestershire two years ago, I swear that I could almost "see" ghostly figures in Roman togas, the energy from that time period is so strong.) And lastly, at least on "Time Team," the diggers are having so much fun. They love what they do. They get so excited when they find something. They love piecing the pieces of history together, and it's an endeavor that hurts no one, and educates everyone. That's entertainment.

History being what it is, it's not a stretch to remember that in hundreds or thousands of years, someone with a shovel will start digging, and down a few feet they will find the icons of our generation, the plastic fast food signs, the automobile dashboards, the cell phones and skyscraper girders. They'll struggle to figure out what it all meant, and shout for joy when they make sense of it. But let us also hope that our generation is remembered more for the loving qualities that became our true icons when it mattered most.