Monday, January 2, 2017

Simple. Uncomplicated.

I cannot remember a previous early January where the people I know were more distressed about the new year than the old one. This pessimism isn't universal, but in our country, it is palpable. Something has happened which most of us neither chose nor understand, nor wish to understand. And simple, uncomplicated optimism and affirmations just don't seem to cut it right now.

In the middle of the night, I was up with a brilliant idea for this blog, but it has disappeared with the morning light. So I'm winging it...again.

My new year's resolution continues to be (despite a little travel and some uncertainties about the health of this computer) to write at least every two days from this point forward for the foreseeable future, as I promised a few weeks ago. The temptation to withdraw into fearful silence always seduces me, but there is simply more and more to say. I must bear witness, not only to my own unique path but to the larger one unfolding in front of all of us.

What is the most optimistic statement I can make about 2017? Here it is: we must go through this doorway for our greatest possible spiritual growth as a species.  On the other side of the portal is a new landscape, a new stretch of river, whatever metaphor works. Moving through this new landscape will take every ounce of our courage, love, authenticity and power, and we are as much the future's co-creators as the people in the news. We are up to the task; the world in 100 years will surely be more astonishing than it has ever been, in a good way. I'm going to take that as a given, and try to stay in the present moment more than I ever have. The sun is out. The sky is blue. The snow is melting. And I am still breathing. Simple. Uncomplicated.