Thursday, June 24, 2021

Leaping Lizzards

Yes, I spelled that intentionally. 

Back when I was at Smith, my nickname of "Liz" morphed into "Lizzard", "Blizzard" and "Gizzard". My housemates used these names endearingly, and indeed I was greeted that way at two or three class reunions. I wasn't too fond of the variants, but I was nowhere near as distressed by them as was my mom. She couldn't believe that she and my dad had named me such a magnificent name, Elizabeth, only to have it left in the dust. I actually like "Lizzie" best of all, but "Liz" is fine too.

So, today this Lizzard is taking a leap, an exploratory leap, to see whether a potential next step is really a go. In the wake of COVID year, it seems absolutely crucial that I do my best to really live, not tread water slowly into old age, especially given continuing overseas travel uncertainties. In a few days, I should know whether the option in front of me is the best way to do that. I am not bringing my computer with me, so, once again, a short break in the blog action. Three or four days, not, I trust, another fifteen months! Have a lovely weekend, all.