Friday, November 18, 2016

Star light...

Dear friends: I've spent the last few days trying to make sense of what is happening and how to respond, and I even managed to write (good Smithie that I am) a long, well-reasoned persuasive piece, complete with supportive quotes. And yet a short foray into the news last night sent me reeling yet again. We have chosen a monstrous path whose ripple effects may be with us for decades, and to force my agonized thoughts into a polished college-type essay just isn't possible yet. So here are some brief observations, my own perspective. All of us must dig deep and follow our own beliefs and consciences.

Despite my initial instinct to join the "fight," I know too much about the law of attraction and these sorts of black holes. Any attention -- positive or negative -- will only feed the swirling darkness (as I think we've seen over the last year.) Well-meaning actions taken with deliberate reference to this movement may also suck us into the abyss. "Flight," to me, isn't an option either because it is fear-based, and I literally don't think there will be anywhere to physically escape to.

This sounds bleak, but if there ever were a time for good people (beings of love and light) to shine unconditionally, it is now. It is a "take off the covers and shine from within-don't hold back" kind of defining moment. It is a "what are we for?" kind of moment, a "cast care aside" kind of moment. The fact is, while there are black holes in our universe, there are also stars that manage to stay far from the event horizon. There are stars that continue to shine brilliantly. It will still be possible, albeit challenging, to focus on the light, and on being the light. I'll do my very best to start today, which is all I can do -- today. Tonight, I'll look up. "Star light, star bright..."