Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Thanks-giving

For several years, I have written almost-daily "lists of ten" in my personal journal -- ten things I am thankful for, or that are just plain good in my life. At times it was very hard to come up with ten, at times very easy. But I was fairly "religious" about it until a few months ago. Like many other people, I swooshed into the black hole and have forgotten gratitude. On this day before Thanksgiving, time to start again:

  • I am so thankful for a warm room, and a roof over my head.
  • I am so thankful for food, and for the one or two feasts that I will take part in tomorrow.
  • I am so thankful for the inexpensive but serviceable winter boots that I just bought, now that snow is on the ground.
  • I am so thankful that I keep finding a little income from jobs I can tolerate, spiritually and physically. The choice stream gets narrower and narrower as I get older, but you know what? Despite it all, and the tightrope I constantly walk...
  • I am so, so thankful to be me, free, overly-spiritual, underly-practical, and single. I wouldn't want to be anyone else. 
  • I am so thankful for all my beautiful friends!
  • I am so thankful for my lifelong love affair with England and English church music. It's been a bit unrequited, but still, I wouldn't have wanted to be anyone else with a different passion. What a journey!
  • I am so thankful for a wonderful, patient, strong physical body that has hung in here with me.
  • I am so thankful for the grace of knowing that somehow, this excruciatingly hard national and international moment will eventually lead to a more love-filled world.
  • I am most thankful for you, dear readers. It is so good to know you are there. 
Have a blessing-filled Thanksgiving. I work Black Friday at a non-retail job and won't be spending a cent. See you Saturday!